It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: ef transmission problem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:07 pm 
Wearin' shades in a: 2000 Ford Ka

i have an ef wagon which of late has really p***ed me off.The gear box went into safe mode the other day.It went & got repaired.It received a whole transmission flush out(22litres of oil),all connectors cleaned & any computer fault codes that showed up dissapppeard.Took it for a drive to town to do shopping(i was gentle),on the way home it did it all over again.Managed to get it back to mechanic(i live in a country town) & the same error codes showed up again.3 & 4 cellunoid.All wiring was checked again & connectors cleaned again.Even checked the gear selector.All error codes gone again,car seems fine but not game to take it on a good drive.Mechanic did & all was fine but that doesn't mean anything.Anyone got any ideas on this.I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere when it happens again(if it does).

Post subject: more on the car
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:15 pm 

when the car was fixed the first time,the mechanic did put a new battery terminal on the negative side because mine was not so good.Mine was an old zinc coloured one & he put a new brass/copper one on.So the electronics would get a better current.would this affect the problem i am having.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:04 pm 
Rumblin' exhaust in a: 2005 BA MkII XR8

One thing that can cause the transmission to go into the safe mode is a faulty transmission inhibitor switch. It would be worth attempting to clean it/service it yourself before paying Ford Part's ransom of ~$120 for a small component.

Unfortunately, this process is not documented on this site or on another Ford website (www.fordmods.com that contained the documentation) which recently suffered catastrophic server failure. Perhaps someone may be able to tell you here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:42 pm 
Pumpin' tunes in a: 1993 ED XR8 Sprint
Pumpin' tunes in a: 1993 ED XR8 Sprint

Faulty earth will also cause the trans to go into limp mode.Undercharging or overcharging alternator causes the same problems.Check the earth strap on the block is nice and tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:30 pm 

thanks for the replies,i will give your suggestions a go & see what happens before i have to pay out more money.I took it for a drive yesterday & this morning with no hassels but still not game to take it too far yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:59 am 

just a few more questions if you can help.The battery is only reading about 12.38 when the car is not on.The battery was only bought about 6-8months ago.Is that a good sign of the alternator not working properly & would that cause it to do what it is doing.By the way it has done it again.It keeps coming up with the same error codes(3&4 cellunoid) but all wiring has been checked for that.I am really losing patience now with this car.I'm pretty sure it is not the gear box itself but some wiring problem somewhere.

Post subject: alternator/battery checked
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:59 pm 

ok,i have checked the battery & alternator(someone else posted on how to do this to see if alternator is working properly)& everything is fine.When the car is on it runs at about 14v,then we put the aircon,lights & rear demister on & it only dropped a little.it's funny this time ,because for once i'm the one losing it & old boy is the calm one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battery test should involve putting a volt meter across the terminals and holding it there while somebody else starts your car... If it dips by too much, then your battery is on it's way out. If I remember rightly, the alternator will always make more V than is required - otherwise it won't charge.

Don't ya just love intermittant problems? :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Post subject: had enough
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:11 pm 

you are not wrong about intermitten problems.at this very moment the car is back at the mechanics,radiator has just been removed,cleaned all the dirt & shit out from around it.i just don't get it.the same error codes keep coming up(3&4 cellunoid) but they tell me that they are fine.they have continuity throughout.when the car has cooled after going into safe mode,the car gives me back the other gears not a problem but after running it for about 50kms it goes straight back into safe mode & the same errors come up.god knows how many grey hairs i have already from this.(hahahaha)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:10 pm 

sorry if ive missed something, but why not just replace 3 and 4 solenoid? If theyre causing so much trouble just piss them off!

Bloody EF's. The moment mine does something major i'm driving it into the nearest river and calling the insurance company. I'm sick of it.

Post subject: pain in the ass ef
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:46 pm 

the car is now booked into tranny next tuesday to have number 3 & 4 cellunoid replaced & i am hoping that is all it is.Should cost me about $200.hope that is a good price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

At least you now know you can duplicate it (drive for 50kms). How much did they quote to change the solinoids? Hope that fixes it for ya...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:18 pm 

I've heard Ford Spares really overcharges for transmission solenoids (then again, what's new?). :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:04 pm 

unfortunately for me now,the car came back again with different error codes,not all the same old ones it has been having.if it was just the number 3 & 4 cellunoid,it was going to cost me about $200,but now i will have to wait & see when they get it.i think i have gone past caring now.i just want it done when it's time & thats it.at least i know i can drive it,for little drives or drive it for 50kms & stop when it gets into safe mode for about half an hour then reset the computer & drive another 50kms.(hahahahahaha)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:50 pm 

Could you look into reconditioned EF transmissions?