It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Timing Chain Tensioner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:25 pm 
Lookin' cool in a: 1978 XC Cobra Hardtop

Ok, my cam gear has arrived and i have a fair idea how to fit it but im a bit unsure about the tensioner part.

Looking for some directions on how to release the tension and also how to properly set it back again?

Also i assume once i fit the new cam gear, i must apply some Loctite(?) the cam bolt..... apply to the bolt thread? Also what type of Loctite?

Cheers!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:50 pm 

Ok, i bought some Permatex Medium strenght loctite for the sprocket bolt.

And also went down to Ford to enquire about the "Ford special tool" to release the tensioner and he had no idea and doesnt sell it.

But the gregories manual says you can use a 3mm allen key with a "tube" over it leaving 5mm of the allen key exposed........ whats the reasoning behind the tube and what size tube do i need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:48 pm 
Hittin' rev limiter in a: 1997 EL GT

Im not sure about the tube but ya take out the center plug bolt then fit the allen key and push in and turn clockwise to lock position - This frees the tensioner

Maybe the tube is to stop you pushing in too far so that you can find the locked position better.....!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:13 pm 

Yeah sounds right, i might use an empty pen as the tube.

Im hoping theres enough room in front of the vernier gear once its fitted to get an allen key onto the adjusting bolts. Might have to grind down an allen key maybe....

Im just hoping that my 5mm measurement on the cam gear above the head is correct and that im doing the right thing bringing it forward 2 degrees or thereabouts.

Ive heard that machining the head and using a thinner headgasket can muck around with the cam gear mark, but not sure if that actually moves the position of the cam or just creates that illusion.

Will try get some pics & maybe a doco, and maybe someone might find it useful :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:18 pm 

Sounds like the mont has done a few kays - I dont think i've seen one do a timing chain......???

But somethings not right and the way it was before with a slack timing chain and more power than now only points to the chain been put back on wrong.......!!!

Put some pickies up and a run down - That'll be great....!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 pm 
Trueblue Member!
Trueblue Member!

itsdamafia wrote:

And also went down to Ford to enquire about the "Ford special tool" to release the tensioner and he had no idea and doesnt sell it.

dads "fraud special tool" is a 3or 5 mm allen Key and a piece of arial. worked fine more me. i dont actually understand y you need the arial tho. bu tit works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:18 pm 

pic below is the sleeve on the outside and the allen key hole in the middle. The circle i drew is how big the hole in the retainer is to work with.

The tubing is to push on the sleeve whilst turning with an allen key, but its very hard as the sleeve only just barely shows through the hole, and pushing on just the middle bit wont do nothing but jam evertything up like i did :oops: